Cleveland, Ohio, Injury Law Blog

Ohio just made it easier to get written up for distracted driving

We’ve posted many articles in the past on the dangers associated with different distracted driving behaviors. However, up until recently, Ohio’s law only permitted police to write up a driver for distracted driving if the officer could prove that the driver’s distraction was the result of texting, calling or similar activities. The passing of House Bill 95 on October 29 changed all that.

The new Ohio law more broadly defines distracted driving. In addition to driving while using a handheld electronic communication device, distracted driving also encompasses driving while engaging in any “activity that is not necessary for the vehicle’s operation and that impairs, or reasonably would be expected to impair, the driver’s ability to drive safely.”

Data Protection Act may protect more consumers and businesses

The Data Protection Act (DPA) is trying to encourage more Ohio businesses to install industry-recognized cybersecurity programs to protect consumer’s confidential information. Under the new law, companies that implement these security frameworks receive some protection against data breach lawsuits.

Airborne Ohio vehicle injures three, including child

Years ago, Newsweek magazine described Springfield, Ohio, as “the American dream.” The city a little more than a 3-hour drive southwest of Cleveland was recently the site of a violent motor vehicle accident that was more like a nightmare for those involved.

A child and two other people were injured in the crash that began when a vehicle struck and knocked out a traffic signal control box and went airborne. The airborne vehicle then skidded across a second vehicle's roof, knocking its driver unconscious and injuring a child passenger.

Who is at fault in a pedestrian-car accident?

When a pedestrian is involved in a collision with a motor vehicle, the consequences can have life-altering physical and psychological impacts. Because of a car’s comparatively high weight and sturdiness, the damage a driver incurs from such accidents is relatively minimal. Therefore, it can be easy to automatically view the pedestrian as the victim and the driver as the guilty party.

In reality, however, the liability is not so cut and dried. In today’s article, we discuss the traffic laws that factor into the determination of fault in a pedestrian-car accident.

Your risk of a fatal car crash is higher this week.

When you imagine the most dangerous time of the year to drive, certain assumptions may jump to mind. You might expect that holidays associated with heavy drinking—such as New Year’s Eve or Saint Patrick’s Day—would be especially risky. Or you could assume that the slippery road conditions in winter weather would make drivers more likely to crash.

It might surprise you to learn that the deadliest days of the year to be on the road don’t actually coincide with any of these events.

Safety concerns over electric scooters in Cleveland

Last summer, electric scooters made an unexpected appearance in Cleveland. The scooter company Bird shows up in Cleveland one day in August, dropping off hundreds of electric scooters as part of its new rental service in the city. The electric scooter rental program operates similarly to bike-sharing services--which have become popular in many U.S. cities in the last decade.

It works like this: a customer can locate and check out an electric scooter using their smartphone. They are then prompted to accept Bird's terms and conditions. Among other things, the rider must verify that they:

The most common victims in hit-and-run cases

Hit-and-run injuries are often some of the most disheartening cases to deal with for both the state and the victim. Since the guilty party drives off immediately, the victim does not get a good chance to see their vehicle and license plate for identification. The court cannot file charges and the victim cannot file a claim against the driver who physically and financially damaged them.

Unfortunately, these are becoming more common despite the increase in law enforcement. Since 2012, fatal hit-and-run crashes have increased in Ohio by more than 50 percent. Anyone on the road can be a victim to these dangerous drivers. However, some are at a significantly higher risk than others. It is important to be aware who is the most at risk so you can take more precautions when you are on the road.

How to help your dog adjust to a new baby

You and your dog have an established life together. Your dog relies on the comfort of the daily routine--it's how he knows everything is okay. While adding a new baby to your family may be a thrilling change for you, this abrupt deviation from the norm can be confusing and even upsetting for a dog.

In order to help your dog adjust to having a new baby on the scene, there are a few things you can do:

What to do if you get into an accident in a rental car

Getting into a car accident is always stressful. But when you crash in a rental car, this can add extra anxiety and uncertainty to an already upsetting situation. You may panic because you don’t know what the procedure is in this case. How should your response differ from getting into an accident in your own car?

In today’s post, we outline some basic steps to follow in the event of a rental car crash:

Wrongful death by dialysis

If you or someone you love suffers from kidney disease, a doctor may suggest dialysis. Dialysis is a purification process to cleanses the body’s blood of toxins—in place of the kidney. The treatment has become increasingly popular in the United States. One of the leading treatment centers—DaVita—has locations nation-wide.

In a recent lawsuit against a DaVita center in Denver, a federal jury awarded $383.5 million to three plaintiffs whose loved ones suffered cardiac arrest and died following dialysis treatment. All three deaths were caused by DaVita’s use of GranuFlo—a compound used in dialysis which is known to cause toxic pH imbalances and alkalosis.

3681 South Green Road, Suite 411
Cleveland, OH 44122

Phone: 216-360-8500
Fax: 216-360-8501
Map & Directions